17th February 2019
Dennis looks at Psalm 23, written by King David as he became king of Judah. Dennis explores the 11 names of God hidden in the passage
- Jehovah RAAH…The Lord my Shepherd. v1”The Lord is my shepherd”.
- Jehovah JREH…The Lord my Provider. v1 “I shall not want”.
- Jehovah SHALOM…The Lord my Peace. v2 “He make me lie down in green pastures. He leads me besides still/quiet waters”.
- Jehovah ROPHE…The Lord my Healer. v3 “He restores my soul”.
- Jehovah TSIDKENEAU…The Lord of Righteousness. v3 “He leads/guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake”.
- Jehovah SHAMA…The Lord is Present. v4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me”.
- Jehovah EZER…The Lord my Help. v4 “your rod and staff they comfort me”.
- Jehovah NISSI…The Lord my Standard of victory. v5 “ You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies”.
- Jehovah INKADDESH…The Lord my Holiness my Sanctification”. v5 “You anoint my head with oil”.
- Jehovah MANAH…The Lord my Portion. v5 “my cup overflows”.
- Jehovah CHELEG…The Lord my Inheritance. v6 “Surely goodness and mercy/love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever”.
He ends with the amazing ‘passion’ transaltion of the Psalm.
The Passion Translation “The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd. I always have more than enough. He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love. His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss. That’s where he restores and revives my life. He open before me pathways to God’s pleasure and leads me along in his footsteps of righteousness, so that I bring honour to his name. Lord even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you I always have. You remain close to me and lead me through it all the way. Your authority is my strength and my peace. The comfort of your love takes away my fear. I’ll never be lonely for you are near. You become my delicious feast, even when my enemies dare to fight. You anoint me with the fragrance of your Holy Spirit, you give me all I can drink of you until my heart overflows. So why would I fear the future. For your goodness and love pursue me all the days of my life. Then afterwards, when my life is through I’ll return to your glorious presence to be forever with you”.